Ultimate Guide to Selling Art Online: No Follower Needed
Ultimate Guide to Selling Art Online: No Follower Needed
Table of Contents
- How I Started My Online Art Shop
- Choosing the Right E-commerce Platform
- Selling Prints: Imprint.com vs. Redbubble and Society6
- Exploring Different Platforms: Big Cartel, Etsy, and Squarespace
- Selling with a Small Follower Base
- Marketing Strategies: Utilizing TikTok and Instagram
- Calculating the Price of Your Products
- Mistakes and Lessons Learned
- Finding Cheap Supplies and Organizing Your Workspace
- Managing Shop Launches and Budgeting
- Dealing with Shipping and Mailing Costs
- Business Legalities and Permits
- Challenges and Reflections on Running an Art Shop
- General Advice for Artists Starting a Business
How I Run My Online Art Shop: A Comprehensive Guide
Running an online art shop can be an exciting and rewarding venture for artists looking to monetize their creativity. In this article, I will share my personal experiences and insights on how I started and managed my own art shop, providing valuable advice and tips along the way. Whether you're a seasoned artist or just starting out, this guide will help you navigate the world of e-commerce and find success in selling your art online.
Allow me to introduce myself and give you a little background information about my journey as an artist and small business owner. After graduating from college during the pandemic, I stumbled upon the opportunity to sell handmade clay items on TikTok. This initial success ignited my entrepreneurial spirit, and I began selling my creations on platforms like Etsy, Instagram, and more. Over the past six months, I have made around $2,000 from my art, though it's important to note that this is not a salary and comes with various expenses and challenges.
2. How I Started My Online Art Shop
In this section, I'll delve into the steps I took to start my art shop and the various platforms I explored. From choosing the right e-commerce platform to creating an appealing storefront, I will offer practical advice on setting up your own online shop.
3. Choosing the Right E-commerce Platform
Deciding which e-commerce platform to use is crucial for the success of your art shop. In this section, I will compare and contrast popular platforms such as Big Cartel, Etsy, and Squarespace. I'll discuss the pros and cons of each platform and share my personal experiences using them.
4. Selling Prints: Imprint.com vs. Redbubble and Society6
If you're interested in selling prints of your artwork, it's essential to find a reliable and cost-effective printing service. I will share my experiences with Imprint.com, a platform that handles printing and shipping for artists. Additionally, I will discuss the drawbacks of popular print-on-demand websites like Redbubble and Society6 and why I find them to be unfavorable options for artists.
5. Exploring Different Platforms: Big Cartel, Etsy, and Squarespace
In this section, I'll provide an in-depth analysis of the various platforms I have used to sell my art. I'll discuss the features, pricing, and customization options of Big Cartel, Etsy, and Squarespace. By sharing my personal experiences, I hope to help you make an informed decision when choosing your own platform.
6. Selling with a Small Follower Base
One of the most common challenges for artists starting an online art shop is selling with a small follower base. In this section, I'll share tips and strategies on how to market and sell your art even with a limited audience. From leveraging TikTok to utilizing Instagram, I'll provide valuable insights into reaching potential customers and increasing your sales.
7. Marketing Strategies: Utilizing TikTok and Instagram
Marketing plays a crucial role in the success of any online art shop. In this section, I'll discuss my experiences in utilizing TikTok and Instagram to promote my art and engage with my audience. I'll share practical tips on how to create engaging content, leverage trending sounds and audios, and make the most of the algorithms on these platforms.
8. Calculating the Price of Your Products
Determining the right price for your artwork can be challenging. In this section, I'll share my approach to pricing handmade items, considering factors such as time spent, hourly rates, and material costs. I'll also discuss the importance of valuing your work and not undervaluing your skills as an artist.
9. Mistakes and Lessons Learned
Running an art shop is a learning process, and along the way, you're bound to make mistakes. In this section, I'll share some of the mistakes I made and the valuable lessons I learned from them. From not paying myself enough to underpricing my products, I hope my experiences will help you avoid similar pitfalls.
10. Finding Cheap Supplies and Organizing Your Workspace
Sourcing affordable art supplies is essential for maintaining a profitable art shop. In this section, I'll share my tips on finding inexpensive supplies from local craft stores and online platforms like Etsy. Additionally, I'll discuss the importance of organizing your workspace efficiently to maximize productivity and minimize clutter.
11. Managing Shop Launches and Budgeting
Launching new products and managing your budget effectively are key components of running a successful art shop. In this section, I'll provide guidance on planning shop launches, setting budgets, and determining the quantity of products to create. By sharing my experiences, I hope to help you plan and execute successful product launches.
12. Dealing with Shipping and Mailing Costs
Shipping and mailing costs can add up and impact your profitability. In this section, I'll discuss different shipping options and platforms such as GoShippo.com. I'll share the pros and cons of various shipping methods and offer practical advice on managing shipping costs without compromising on quality and customer satisfaction.
13. Business Legalities and Permits
Navigating the legal and tax aspects of running a business can be daunting for artists. In this section, I'll provide general advice on obtaining business permits and licenses. While I recommend researching the specific regulations in your state and county, I'll offer some guidance on where to start and what to consider in terms of business legalities.
14. Challenges and Reflections on Running an Art Shop
Running an art shop comes with its fair share of challenges and reflections. In this section, I'll explore the difficulties I've encountered as a small business owner, from feeling pressure to post consistently to drawing boundaries between hobby and work. I'll discuss the importance of self-care and setting realistic expectations for yourself as an artist and entrepreneur.
15. General Advice for Artists Starting a Business
Drawing from my personal experiences, this final section offers general advice and words of encouragement for artists looking to start their own art businesses. From embracing your unique style to taking breaks when needed, I'll share insights that can help you navigate the journey of turning your passion into a successful business.
- Choosing the right e-commerce platform is crucial for the success of your art shop.
- TikTok and Instagram can be powerful marketing tools, even with a small follower base.
- Pricing your artwork fairly and confidently is essential for valuing your skills as an artist.
- Utilize local craft stores and online platforms to find affordable art supplies.
- Stay organized and maximize productivity by creating an efficient workspace.
- Plan and execute shop launches strategically to increase sales and manage your budget effectively.
- Research and comply with the legal and tax requirements of running a business in your state and county.
- Take care of yourself and set boundaries to ensure the sustainability and enjoyment of your art business.
I am a ETSY merchant, I am opening several ETSY stores. I use Etsyshop to find ETSY stores and track competitor stores. Etsyshop really helped me a lot, I also subscribe to Etsyshop's service, I hope more people can like Etsyshop！ — Ecomvy
Join Etsyshop to find the ETSY store & products
To make it happen in 3 seconds.
- App rating
- ETSY Store
- Trusted Customers
- No complicated
- No difficulty
- Free trial
- Dominate the Wedding Jewelry and Accessories Market on Etsy
- Etsy vs Shopify: Making the Right Choice for Your Online Business
- Etsy vs. Shopify: Choose Your E-commerce Path
- Etsy vs Shopify: Which Platform is Right for You?
- Etsy vs. Shopify: Crafting Your E-Commerce Success
- How I Made $45k in 2 Months on Etsy - A Case Study
- The Ultimate Guide to Succeed in Etsy Drop Shipping
- Streamline Multi-Channel Sales with Nimble Web
- Dropshipping Success: $31,271 in 1 Month!
- Master the Art of Selling Posters on Etsy
- The Real Deal: Making Money with AI Mugs
- The Etsy Journey: From Artisan Haven to Modern Marketplace
- Unleash Your Woodworking Skills on Etsy
- Unveiling Etsy's Hottest Holiday Trends for 2023
- Profitable A.I. Notebooks on Etsy
- Turn Your Photos into Profit on Etsy
- Essential Tips for Starting Your Etsy Shop
- Unleash AI Art on Etsy: Success Guide
- Master Your First Month on Etsy
- Make Thousands on Etsy Selling T-Shirts